PIERRE, S.D. (AP) — Gov. Kristi Noem says President Donald Trump has approved a disaster declaration for southeastern South Dakota for September storm damage.
Noem on Monday called the declaration “good news for South Dakota communities,” and said she was grateful to Trump “for responding so quickly.”
Noem requested the declaration last month in a letter to Trump. Sioux Falls was struck by three tornadoes in September, and Madison and Mitchell were hit by severe flooding. It also covers flooding in Brookings county
The declaration includes both individual and public assistance and covers the period of Sept. 9 to Sept. 26. Preliminary assessments total at least $17 million in requested federal assistance.
Brookings is included in both the individual and public assistance.
Total individual assistance damage is estimated at more than $8 million. Counties included in the request for individual assistance are Brookings, Charles Mix, Davison, Hanson, Hutchinson, Lake, Lincoln, McCook, Minnehaha, Moody, and Yankton, and the Flandreau Santee Indian Reservation and Yankton Indian Reservation. FEMA’s Individual Assistance program provides grants to individuals and families for expenses related to home repairs and rental assistance.
Total public assistance damages are estimated at more than $8.8 million. Counties included in the request for public assistance are Aurora, Brookings, Brule, Charles Mix, Davison, Douglas, Gregory, Hanson, Hutchinson, Kingsbury, Lake, McCook, Miner, Minnehaha, Moody, Sanborn, Turner, Union, and Yankton and the Yankton Indian Reservation and Flandreau Santee Indian Reservation.
South Dakota has now received four disaster declarations this year.
Officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency are now in South Dakota working on the first three disaster declarations.